Helpful Hints About SBIR/STTR Phase 1 Awards
- Every "Investigator" needs to file a disclosure (e.g. be named as key people on the proposal). Remember, an Investigator is anyone responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of the research.
- If the company is the MIT investigator’s Related Entity, MIT can only accept funding for the Phase 1 award, we cannot be involved in later phases with a Related Entity. SBIR/STTR Phase 2 awards are allowed only if the company is not a Related Entity of the MIT investigator. If the company is the MIT investigator’s Related Entity, faculty often opt to create new relations with other researchers at other institutions so that the work can continue there.
- Department must to be willing to manage the oversight of any potential COI.
- MIT PI cannot also be the PI on the company's proposal, it needs to be a full time employee of the company.
- Company personnel cannot be appointed at MIT.
- The SFI and relationships need to be disclosed in the proposal to the sponsor.