MIT utilizes the CITI program for four types of training:
- Ethical Use of Human Subjects in Research (IRB)
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR for NSF awards)
- NIH/PHS Conflicts of Interest (for NIH/PHS Investigators)
- Laboratory Animal Research (IACUC)
You must log into training through MIT’s website to ensure that you are properly associated with MIT and your training records are transferred to the MIT Coeus system. The log on is certificate based.
Accessing the CITI Site
Access the CITI course by going to the CITI login page. You will be authenticated using your MIT certificates.
You may also affiliate with another institution. The software will sum the requirements of both institutions so that you need not retake modules common to the requirements of both institutions. The link "Add a course or update your learner groups" will take you to the enrollment questions and permit you to change your "Learner Group" by providing new responses to the enrollment questions.
To Start the Course
- After you enter CITI through the MIT portal, you will be brought to the Main Menu. This page lists your training courses. The Main Menu also provides a number of Course Utilities designed to help you.
The blue link "Add a course or update your learner groups " will permit you to Begin/Continue the Course.
- You will be prompted to select a curriculum that will enroll you in the Learner Group appropriate for your interests or role. MIT offers four types of training: Ethical Use of Human Subjects in Research (IRB), Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR for NSF), Laboratory Animal Research (IACUC), and NIH/PHS Conflicts of Interest (for NIH/PHS Investigators and highlighted below):
Note: If users select the wrong course and complete it, it will not fulfill their training requirement. For example, if IRB is selected, but the training requirement was supposed to be for RCR, they will still get the email notifications from Coeus that their training requirement is still past due.
- To add the NIH/PHS Conflict of Interest Course, click the Yes radio button:
The landing page will then open, verifying that you have added the course. You will then click on the course title:
- When you click on a course, you will be presented with a list or Required Modules and Supplementary Module.
Complete The Integrity Assurance module presented at the top of the Required Modules. The system will allow you to start taking the courses after completing it.
- When prompted, select the Agree radio button to accept the CITI Program conditions of use.
You will now be able to begin the course by clicking on the course title in bold.
NOTE: When going through the training, if there is no activity, the session will be timed out and it will try to log back in with a CITI user name and password. To get back into your session you will need to go back in through http://coeus.mit.edu/coeus/citi/CitiLogin.jsp
- Complete all Required Modules and associated quizzes.
- Complete Optional Modules.
- Once the course has been passed and completed, there is an option to submit a voluntary, anonymous user satisfaction. You may also elect to return back to the Main Menu.
- You may print your completion report through the link: Print in the Main Menu.
To Complete a Course
The minimum passing aggregate score for quizzes is 80. A running tally is compiled in the Grade Book. If you want to improve a score on a quiz, you may repeat any quiz in which you did not score 100 % correct.
- Print or download a Course Completion Report as evidence that you have met your institutional requirements. A copy will be sent automatically to your institutional administrator. You may return to the course site in the future to obtain a copy of the completion report.
CITI Support Desk
305-243-7970 option 1
Kuali Coeus Support Team
Include your Name, Contact information, and a brief description of the difficulty you are experiencing.